Special CollectionsThe Smiths Falls Public Library has a large collection of fiction and non-fiction materials. This includes:
- Over 37,000 adult and juvenile books and 52 magazine subscriptions
- Rotation of DVDs and CDs from branch to branch
- Reference collections (and services)
- Government documents
- Large print books
- Genealogical/local history information
- Online newspapers, magazines, databases, netbooks and downloadable books
In addition to the above collections, the Libray also offers various special collections. These include:
Talking BooksThe Talking Book Program provides free library service to citizens of all ages who are unable to read standard print material due to visual, physical, or reading disabilities - whether permanent or temporary. Our talking books are available in different formats, mainly on cassette and CD but also in braille and large print. Best of all, books are delivered right to your door by our volunteer staff. Call the library to request your choices.
Large Print CollectionFor over 30 years the Smiths Falls Library has been providing large print books to students and adult patrons. We have recognized a demand for books with sharp, bold, easy-to-read LARGE PRINT. We stock books for special needs students in first grades through post secondary. We also have an extensive collection of Large Print Classics for all ages and award-winning Children's Literature.
Large print books are ideal for individuals of all ages whether they are visually impaired, dyslexic, learning disabled, multi-disabled, reluctant young readers, adults with poor eyesight or individuals suffering from computer induced vision fatigue. Large Print books are different from regular books in the following ways:
- Extra Large Type Size: Between 13 to 18 point
- Sharp bold Print
- Extra spacing between lines and paragraphs
- Wide margins
- High opacity paper
- Durable library bindings
- Laminated full-color hard covers
- Smaller books: average closed book size 7.75" x 9.25"