Loan Periods & FinesPlease read our circulation policies and fees below. We ask that you present your card when you are checking out and renewing books.
Library CardsMembership Cards: FREE (Residents of the Town of Smiths Falls, Township of Montague, Township of Drummond/North Elmsley)
Non-Resident Membership Fees: $53.00 Yearly or $10/month
Replacement Membership Card: $3
Loans & Loan PeriodsLoan Period: 3 weeks
DVD Loan Period: 1 week
Library materials can be returned during regular library hours or deposited in the drop box conveniently located at the rear of the building (Elmsley St.).
Holds & RenewalsItems on Hold Will be Held: 3 days after notification
Renewal Period: Same as Loan Periods above
No Renewals on Items with Holds
You may renew your materials in the library, by phoning us or on-line through your library account. If something you want is checked you may ask the library staff to place a hold on it for you; you may also place your own hold through your library account.
Lost & Damaged MaterialsReplacement Fees: A patron will be charged the cost of the item as indicated in the database for lost or damaged material.
Overdue FinesFines are Counted on Open Days Only
Adult: 25¢ per day
Grace Period: 1 day
DVDs: $1.25 per day
Suspension of Service PolicyPlease don't misuse or abuse your service. It is our pleasure to serve the patrons of the Smiths Falls Library. Please treat our materials, equipment and staff with the care and respect we afford our patrons.
Your borrowing privileges may be suspended if you:
- Repeatedly damage or deface books, equipment, or library property.
- Make repeated requests for replacement of equipment or materials that have been damaged through carelessness, abuse, or unauthorized repair.
- Have a large number of overdue books or magazines, or repeatedly lose books and magazines.
- Repeatedly use obscene, harassing, degrading or threatening language or behavior to any library staff member(s) or patron.
- Repeatedly loan books, magazines, or equipment to other persons.
- Ignore other policies described in this document.
To avoid suspension, you must contact the Library before the scheduled suspension date and be prepared to explain why suspension should not take place. If misuse of service continues or happens repeatedly, the Library staff will send a notice suspending your service.
The suspension period will not exceed six months and will only affect that portion of the service that has been abused. Service will resume after the suspension ends. You will be notified by mail that your service will be returning to normal.