A one-on-one tutoring program for children needing extra assistance with reading skills.
- area schools are contacted and provided with information about the availability of tutoring
- teachers send home invitations to parents, whose child meets criteria outlined by the Library’s Tutoring Coordinator
- parents must attend an information session in June to apply for the program
- children are selected for the program based on their individual needs and availability to complete the 2 week program
(please note that completing an application does not guarantee a spot in the program)
- tutors meet with their assigned child for 1 hour per day, for 10 days
- 3 or 4 two-week tutoring sessions are held during July and August
- designed for children who are currently in Kindergarten who are struggling with letter names and sounds (preference is given to Seniors)
- during the 2-week session, the Jolly Phonics program is followed and is complemented with daily reading and literacy games
- children work with their tutor to produce a letter/sounds book by the completion of the program
- designed for children who are currently in grades 1 and 2 and are struggling to meet grade expectations in reading
- tutors follow the Reading Reflex program to reinforce reading skills and supplement the program with daily reading and literacy-based activities.
Please Note: Families must have a library card to qualify for this program. Contact the Children’s Department for further information.